Monday, June 24, 2013

6.23.13

In case you missed it, friday was the first day of summer! My boyfriend and I were all set to spend the weekend in Vermont but unfortunately he caught a bug that's been going around. So I shifted gears and became a nurse (and finally started this blog). Although it was hot & humid outside, the patient was craving soup. I think we can all agree that when one is sick the best remedy is a nice, hot bowl of chicken noodle. Patty used to make me the Peruvian version of this too - it's called Locro. Anywho, because I hate wasting food, I decided I would use some left over veggies for this emergency soup. The patient thought it was pretty tasty and suggested I share it with you all. So here it is!

Ingredients:
  • 4 small carrots, peeled & diced
  • 1/2 a zucchini, peeled & diced & quartered
  • 2 green onions, diced (only white & light green parts)
  • 2 (32 oz.) boxes of low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp. EVOO
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • pinch of thyme
  • S&P
  • any small pasta (I used Ditalini)
Steps:
  • Cook the pasta according to directions on box (I made 1 cup of uncooked pasta)
  • In a large pot, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat
  • Add veggies along with oregano & thyme, S&P to taste
    • cook until tender
  • Add pasta & chicken broth (I only used 1 1/2 boxes & used the rest to add to left overs)
    • cover and bring to boil
    • let cook for about 10 minutes so all the flavors combine
  • Serve! I added a slice of french bread I picked up at the farmer's market.
  • ** These are just the veggies I had on hand, feel free to substitute!
I completely forgot to take pictures of the soup, but I did take pictures of the simple mozzarella, avocado, & tomato salad I made for myself plus the wine I also picked up at our local farmer's market. I felt bad that the patient couldn't drink ... but not that bad!

So easy to make, just drizzle some balsamic vinegar + S&P over.

This chardonnay is made at the local Turtle Creek Winery, it's made from California grapes so obviously I had to buy it.


What makes you feel better when you're sick? 

No comments: