Friday, August 22, 2014

8.22.14

This Weekend, Why Don't You ...
Watch "When The Game Stands Tall"



If you've seen the previews for this movie, you know that it is based on a true story. What you might not know is that that story is part of my story. De La Salle was the all boys school to my all girls school, Carondelet. Just as the trailer shows, we were known for having the longest running winning streak in history. I can't speak for everyone who I went to school with but attending Carondelet and De La Salle will always be a highlight in my life. It sounds corny now but I loved high school. I loved my close group of friends, my teachers, the community, and the football games. I was a JV cheerleader for DLS and because of it watched almost all the varsity games that followed. Sitting in the stands, watching them play was crazy. People thought of Terrance Kelly and the other players as these football gods but I knew them as my classmates and friends. 

I can't say I knew Terrance Kelly well but I knew who he was. I knew he was a a really good guy who was an amazing athlete from a not so great town. I also knew that he was a great friend to many of my friends. His passing was the first I experienced of someone so young. At 17 years old, seeing my girl and boy friends cry as if their hearts were breaking was an indescribable feeling. However, seeing our community come together, even when it seemed like we couldn't shake bad luck off our backs, was even more outstanding. 

Without giving everything away, I hope that everyone sees this movie. I hope it brings a little healing for those who still need it and that it inspires people. 

If you would like to donate to the Terrance Kelly Youth Foundation, you can do so here.


With Love, Kristtyn


No comments: