Wednesday, April 9, 2014

4.9.14

Matilda Moment ... What Remains

When I was younger I went through a Matilda phase. I would carry a book with me everywhere. While my parents were super proud that I was becoming a little bookworm, they were appalled when I would try to read at restaurants (that's a no no in terms of manners). Nonetheless, they allowed me to buy every book in sight if I promised to read at appropriate times. Even now I have a very hard time walking into a bookstore and not grabbing at least three books at a time to buy. Thank god for Kindle. As my first Matilda Moment share, inspired by my recent trip to the JFK Library and Museum, I have chosen What Remains: A Memoir of Fate, Friendship, and Love by Carole Radziwill. You may recognize the author's name but a fluffy reality tv read this is not. This memoir is a beautifully written story of a woman who came from humble roots, created a successful career, and married a man who happened to be a prince. It has all the makings of a fairy tale but is punctuated with great tragedy. It's exciting and extremely heartfelt, and if you're like me, will reduce you to tears.








No comments: