Monday, July 1, 2013

7.1.13

Happy Monday! And happy first day of July!

Now that the temperature is heating up everywhere, I have been craving cold, fruity drinks. Growing up, Patty made me a variety of cold fruit juices and would deliver them to my bedroom so that I could start my day off right. Freshly squeezed OJ, papaya juice, strawberry banana smoothies, the woman did it all! And she still does it for my brother back in California ... one of the downsides of living on the opposite coast. Therefore, I have been left to my own devices if I want a cold fruit drink, especially if I don't want to leave my wonderful air-conditioned apartment. So here is a recipe for a yummy Mango Banana Smoothie I threw together this weekend. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 a large banana, diced
  • 1 cup chopped up mango (equal to half a mango)
  • 3/4 cup almond milk (or whichever type you prefer)
  • 1 cup ice
  • *Optional: 1 tbsp. Chia seeds (I've been adding these to my smoothies for a while, they are flavorless but nutritional. Also, they're apparently the 'It' food of 2013)
Steps:
  • Throw all ingredients into your blender and press the smoothie button! 
  • ** Makes about 1 large smoothie or 2 small servings.

I got these at Trader Joe's but they are available at most health food stores 
and even some of your regular grocery stores.


* I didn't want the fruit to spoil so I pre-cut the banana & mango, put 1 serving's worth in individual bags, and threw it in the freezer for future smoothies without the mess! 

No comments: